Monday, January 12, 2009

Truth or Tangent?

I often spend several hours a day driving.  To redeem my time, I subscribe to about 10 different podcasts of pastors around the country that I enjoy.  They come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have some very unique styles.  I enjoy hearing God's Word.  I enjoy the encouragement and the challenges that It brings to me.  But last Friday I heard a message from the Sermon on the Mount that I don't know that I believe.  That startled me.  And challenged me to rethink and restudy what I believe regarding what Jesus was teaching.  I haven't reached my verdict yet.  I will research it this week and decide.  

Since then I have wondered how many people just take whatever is presented to them as truth, without weighing it against the rest of God's Word?  We can't be mindless.  We should think about what is put before us and make sure it's truth before we accept it and act on that teaching.  

To the other extreme, we can't just close out any presentation of the Word that doesn't match what we all ready believe.   

2 Timothy 2:15 "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

No comments: