Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting the Splinter Out

From time to time when I was a kid, I would get a splinter in my finger.  I am, and have always been, a wimp when it comes to tolerating pain.  Splinters were a big deal.  Not only because they hurt on their way into my skin, but it hurt again when you took them out.  Consequently, I would not tell when I had one, and would just wait to see if, perhaps, it would just work itself out.  It never did.  Why did I keep hoping, the next time I had a splinter, that this one would go away by itself?  I really, really was a wimp.  I could usually make it several days before I would have to address the situation.  I would be careful not to use that finger, or let it brush up against anything, and sometimes, even forget that it was there for a time.  But, inevitably, I would pick something up, and the quick, sharp sting would make me draw back, look at the puffy red spot and sigh.  It was still there.  And it still hurt.

After a couple of days, it would be really swollen, and sore, and my dad would see it.  I dreaded hearing his voice.  "Come here.  Let me fix that."  I would slink towards him, holding the splintered finger tight in my other fist, telling my dad, "No, it will hurt."  He would just take my hand, and using his pocket knife, carefully pull back the skin and pull out the splinter.  I'm not sure what hurt more, the sight of his knife or the tenderness of the neglected sight.  But I know that it did hurt, but only for a moment.  Then it was over.  All the pain would go away and I could do whatever I needed to with that hand without reservation.

The Lord has called me this week about my "splinter".  It's not a big thing.  Just a little bit of discord.  And I can serve Him and minister without noticing it; most days.  But if I am going give 100%, all out, go for it, living the adventure, following the Spirit life, I need to get rid of that splinter.  He called me this week.  I heard Him.  I didn't want to show Him or let Him remove it.  Am I so spiritually childish that I would rather hurt than let Him take it out?   I have been.  But, I can't live that way.  So He took it.  It hurt.  Mostly because I held it so long.  But now all the pain is gone.

Do you have a splinter?  It wont go away by itself.

Let your Father take it out.

No comments: