Monday, January 19, 2009

Gotta Have a Plan

I like having a plan.  Usually, I have several plans.  Plan A, B, C, & D.  Just in case.  That comes from several years of doing events that don't always go just as you had imagined in the planning stage.  Sound systems sometimes fail.  Computer links sometimes fail.  And, for all your well laid planning, an event may not go as you have originally planned.  But it will go; for better or worse, it will go on.  I have been known to say, "Let's just start with Plan B, because that is where we will end up anyway!"

But, fortunately, for our lives, God has The Plan.  And His Plan is always an A Plan.  Our part is to follow His direction and live in that Plan and enjoy His blessing and fellowship through every part of our life, the good days and the bad days, the ups and the downs, the clear path and the clouded path.   I am so thankful that God has planned my life.  The older I am, the easier it is to rest in that knowledge and watch that plan unfold.   This week, joining the staff at Momentum Church, is a part of His Plan that I could have never foreseen or orchestrated.  It is so far from what I would have imagined or thought just a few years ago.  I had plans for the future, ideas of where my ministry would lead me.  And not that those plans were bad.  We need plans.  We need goals.  We need directions to focus our days.  Without those, we tend to flounder and float aimlessly, accomplishing little, affecting less.  But, I like the way Mark Batterson said it in, "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day," 
"I'm not saying we shouldn't make plans.  But you might want to use a pencil with an eraser and have a shredder handy."

I'm making more plans.  But I have my eraser in hand and I'm listening closely for the Spirit's leading.  I want my A Plan to match His A Plan, too.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
 

No comments: