Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rest-Less to Rest to Restless

I have had the most amazing week.

I can't tell you the last time I had 7 consecutive days of rest; pre-children at least!  My favorite form of rest is reading and my favorite place to read is the beach, so this has been a dream come true.   I think I was giddy until Wednesday, at least!
But, honestly, I am starting to feel restless.  Something is missing.  The weather and the beach are perfect.  The company is perfect. (There are only a few people you can live with for a week and not get tired of them.  I talked about that here.)  We have said, "This is Heaven!" and "I could do this forever", but, in reality, I don't think I could.  
I wasn't created to rest.  I wasn't created only to read great books, enjoy God's beautiful creation, and share meaningful conversations with a friend who, over the years, has become my sister.   Oh, these are great experiences, great temporary escapes from the day to day routines of life.  And I have had a blast doing them this week.  But it's not why I was created.  It's not my purpose.                            
   I believe my purpose is to show Jesus to the world.  And, specifically, for this time in my life, to the kids at Momentum Church.  It's what I like to do most.  It's what I think I really could do forever, and not be tired of it.  I think this is why I was created.  I posted this picture of breakfast on Facebook and said people should envy me.  It's true.  This was a great breakfast.  But if you could know the joy I get from being with the kids each Sunday and seeing God revealing Himself to them; then you would have the real reason to envy me.  


I'm getting restless.  I'm ready to get back to my life.  Not to say I don't look forward to the next time the beach calls.  In time, there will be a need for more rest.  And reading.  And eating peanut M&Ms and french toast.  But until then, bring on the kids and let's get on with our journey. 

No comments: