Monday, February 23, 2009

Not Keeping Score

I have taken some days to think about this one:  Keeps no record of wrongs.  Hmmm.  Not really sure I want to think about it, because when I do, I feel like this is something that is humanly impossible.  I KNOW when someone has "wronged" me.  I can choose not to act like it, but I still KNOW that they did something that was wrong, or mean, or just bothered me.  I can't forget it.  I can forgive them, but the next time I see them, I will remember the deed.  I don't forget much. 

So, I studied some, and I thought some, and this is idea floated through my head sometime today;  "if I'm not keeping record of these wrongs, maybe that's like playing tennis and not keeping score."  If one player is a lot more skilled at tennis than the other, they both know who has won more points.  They just don't talk about it.  

And maybe not keeping a record of wrongs means that I'm not looking for a chance to get even for those hurts.  I'm not watching for an opportunity put someone down, because they were rude to me a week ago.  I don't take the opportunity to share my hurtful experience with others, even if they bring the subject up. 

Often the purpose of keeping score is to accumulate bragging rights at the end of the game.  Maybe when we truly love like Jesus does, we aren't looking for bragging rights.  Because we know that in light of His love, we don't have anything to brag about anyway.

This one still bothers me some.  I'm working on not keeping score.  It really shouldn't be that hard for me.  I'm not real good with numbers anyway.

I'm out of 1 Corinthians 13, finally.  I think I have enough to work on in my own life to keep me busy til next Valentine's Day!  

No comments: