Monday, March 16, 2009

As a Daisy....

A few years ago, I taught a Daisies class.  Daisies are kindergarten-age girls and the Daisies pledge goes like this:  "As a Daisy, I will be happy, good and helpful, letting my light shine for Jesus."  

Though I am many years removed from kindergarten, isn't that still what God wants for me?  To be happy, good and helpful?  Certainly life is more complicated than when I was in kindergarten.  And the issues I face and the decisions I make have more consequences than when I was 5.  But, when I shake off all the hype, the drama, the frills; my decisions should ultimately be guided by those same three adjectives.  If I live so that I am:

Happy:  content, satisfied, pleasant.  Not that we don't have goals or aspirations that we are striving toward,  but the fact that we have not reached those places yet does not cost our happiness in the present.

Good:  Doing what is right.  Plain and simple.  If it's a good thing, do it.  If it's not, don't.  

Helpful:  Looking for ways to help others.  And when you see a chance, do it.  I have opportunities every day to help someone else.  I can help in my own home.  I can help my neighbor.  And now, thanks to the internet, I can help people on the other side of the world.  And it only takes a few minutes of my time.  

And in a world that has produced a culture of people that are unhappy, malicious, and self-centered, living happy, good and helpful will cause our lights to shine for Jesus.

Can you make the Daisies pledge?

No comments: