Thursday, December 11, 2008

No Hydroplaning!

While driving in the pouring rain yesterday, I realized that in this world, there are many idiots. People were speeding, weaving, and completely disregarding the fact that the rain was falling so hard, it couldn't drain from the streets fast enough. These drivers were either oblivious to, or disregarded the fact that at any minute they could begin to hydroplane and lose all control of their vehicle. And all for the goal to getting to the next red light before the rest of us!

As I viewed them smugly, the Lord reminded me that I am often like that. Maybe not in my driving, but in my life. There are times in my life that I travel dangerous roads spiritually. There are situations that I can find myself in where I struggle to be Christ-like. I know what my weaknesses are. And when I go into a situation where I know that I will be tested, how do I navigate it? Like the idiot drivers, just go for it, full force. Do I just walk into it as though it was a perfectly beautiful day, or a perfectly safe situation? Do I disregard the danger in my spirit, or worse, am I oblivious to that danger? If I am aware of the danger, shouldn't I prepare for it. I can't avoid the areas of life that may bring me temptations. But when I know I am going to be in those places, I can pray and be focused; see the dangers, and navigate through the course and around the dangers.

Ephesians 5:15 "So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise."

And it's still raining. So, no hydroplaning!

1 comment:

SteffieB said...

Barbara I love your wisdom!!